Monday, November 11, 2013

Truck bed cover

I did it, I put a down payment on a custom built camper shell.  It will give me lots of space, and Then I just have to build the interior. This is really happening.

Do you know how hard it is to buy something, sight unseen that needs to be built to my truck size and I only have a vague idea of what it will end up looking like because the pictures are on all sorts of different trucks and were not measuring exactly what I was thinking that they were measuring.  But I ended up deciding on one like this http://belairshells.com/camping_shells Bed rail to top will come in at 44 inches on the exterior so that when I use the internal lip to hold my bunk, the interior height should be at 40 inches, thus allowing me to sit up straight on my bed.  I'm getting the side windows higher up than normal so that someone looking in won't see me, and so that on the other side my table won't block the window.

The interior build will be interesting also, but that is one of the things I have really had to consider while trying to decide on the exterior.  I need storage space.  I believe that if I'm traveling at winter I should try to have at least a few days worth of food and water (hopefully a week) and I need space for clothing and cooking and dishes.  And if I'm going to be trying to barter sewing for miscellaneous other things then I need to bring my sewing room. Ok so I can not bring my entire sewing room as that would fill this entire space, but I do need to bring more than just a basic sewing kit.

With this layout, I'll have about 20 cubic feet under bed storage, probably another 20 cubic feet under the table storage, somewhere between 5-10 cubic feet in the cabover area.  I will need something to hold the stuff in the cabover space and I'll probably use that for clothing, the underbed space for sewing room and the under table space for kitchen/emergency rations.

I may or may not get it installed at thanksgiving.  I'm hopeful but they say three weeks to build which puts it at just after thanksgiving.  In which case I wouldn't get down there to put it on until finals week.  I was hoping to use that week between thanksgiving and finals to take measurements and mentally and physically plot out the interior.  So then while needing a break from the stress that is finals I would be able to use it to do somethings with the interior space.

No comments: