Friday, October 18, 2013

Dietary Restrictions

One of my concerns with staying with other people is that I am actually a very picky eater nowadays.  I didn't use to be nearly as picky as I am now but with my strange food intolerance I have had to become much more picky.

Nightshade:  If it is in the nightshade family then it gives me indigestion and other issues, amount and severity depend on how good I have been being on avoiding it and exactly what I'm eating.  Nightshades include: tomatoes, potatoes, all of the peppers (not peppercorn), and eggplant.  The hardest part is that there is paprika in everything.  It is nature's red coloring, I can not avoid it.  I do try, because I can tell when I have had too much.  One nice side effect of avoiding the nightshades for me is that most of my skin allergy issues have cleared up, thus convincing me that yes indeed I am intolerant.  Peppers cause me the most issue, with tomatoes a close second.  As for food substitutions potatoes are easy because sweet potatoes are not part of the same family.  The ironic part of this intolerance is for the medieval re-enactor these are outside period and I finally put two and two together to get four from the after effects of a medieval feast that had one too many jalapeno dishes.

Fish products: For awhile I thought I was allergic to tuna, I have since realized that it probably is not tuna but actually one of the chemicals used in canned fish products.  Canned tuna and canned shrimp have both given me an allergic reaction.  The being raised vegetarian means I have not been exposed to much and I am indifferent to it as a meat source so I usually just choose the chicken.

Peanuts/Peanut butter: Although I'm not allergic, I have never liked these but after being raised vegetarian and my father basically saying all we were allowed to take for bag lunch was pb&j, I am over it.

No comments: