Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Visiting my little sister

I am now at my little sister's place.  Friday night I helped her finish putting together the futon for her library/guest room.  Saturday and Sunday I spent moving furniture and books, and finally unpacking some of the books, only about two thirds had been unpacked.  Now the library feels much more like a library.  I'm still working to get all the boxes that ought to be up in the office up in the office, my knees do not like the stairs; going up them with a box of books is hard, there is also the bringing different boxes down, not everything got put in the right place when moved.  One flight no problem, it's that second flight.  Plus trying to be nice to the brother in law and not bother him too much.

I do not like this cold thing.  It's fine if it is just around freezing and I only need to go out for a few minutes, but I want to go and see things in DC, and to do that I need to drive to the nearest metro station (15 miles) and take the metro into town.  Then I'll be walking all over town.  I would like it to be above freezing, as that I can handle, cold but not as dangerously cold.  So today I have spent making friends with my sisters cats.  Ginger is a vary friendly cat and will love all the humans that come visit.  Heidi is an appropriately named cat who hides from anything and everything; she is a scared little cat.  Heidi has come and sniffed my hand and I even got half a scratch behind her ear before she ran away.
Ginger, Why aren't you petting me?Heidi, Maybe you are ok, but reach to pet me and I will bolt.


Must head south after the Math conference.  This east coast weather does not act like I expect; the weather is not coming off the ocean like it does out in California.  Need to plan a southwards meander.

I have also solved the why is this room so cold problem.  Someone closed all the vents in the basement (which is where the library is, more the bottom level of a three level town house, which means no warm air was getting here.  I have opened them and now I can try to read a book while not being huddled down in an warm cozy blanket and hoodie and having cold fingers.  Am still going to huddle up but my fingers are not so cold now.

2 comments:

eliensign said...

Canada was freezing, but with the hiking thermals, Alaska coat, and hand warmers it was no problem at all. Get hand warmers! They equal magic! Also, email me your sister's mailing address!

Monique Marie Sauniere said...

Glad to see you made it to DC safely! Not liking the cold there, though. Maybe heading down to Florida and Cape Canaveral would warm you up a bit. If you are thinking of swinging by the Tampa/St. Pete area let me know. My dad and step mom might be good for a couple of meals and a night's rest or 2.