Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Math Conference plus things and stuff

I enjoyed the conference and listening to people talk about math in ways that excite them (even the dull talkers that I didn't understand most of, I could tell that the person talking very much liked their subject, even if they had absolutely no stage presence.)  My favorite talks were the Math and Art talks, with the history of Math ones coming in a fairly close second.  I also went to a wonderful talk about pi, yes the mathematical pi not the edible kind.  I now have many great ideas of things I want to do in the near future to bring more math into my own crafts (art, whatever you want to call it.) I also got a lot of hand work done.  I finished my crochet hat and worked on the embrodery of my quilt until I ran out of embrodery floss.  I then spent most the day Sunday sleeping as I hadn't gotten enough sleep the four days earlier (out of house by seven and not back until after ten means not enough sleep time.) Monday was spent in a no can not process new information state of need to play stupid computer games.

Today I'm back to normal (at least normal for me, which isn't very normal) and doing some more cooking.  Tonight I did some slow cooker bbq chicken (with my persimmon based bbq sauce, and I think it is delicious and there are left overs for sandwiches, yum.  I also made some lemon currant muffins, which I'm not sure I like the recipe I found online.  The batter ended up very dry and I had to add just a little more liquid just to get it to mix, plus it called for a whole tablespoon of baking powder, which just sounds like too much.  Zesting lemon with just a knife is hard.  Also could only find a six muffin tin so there are muffins and a mini loaf.  I am down to only one lemon of the bag I brought with me so I don't think I'll be trying again, as I am very much liking lemon water to drink.  The end result, DRY.  Not sharing the recipe as they turned out much more like a scone, and when I eat my left overs I will keep that in mind.  

I also was a lot tired at the end of the week and that means will power was at a low, so I ate foods that I really should not have eaten.  Things for me to remember, yes nightshades still make my insides unhappy, and my skin very itchy.  And really it's not worth it.  I had been getting so nice and not itchy by avoiding all trace amounts, and now I itch.  So my back to normal is except itchy at this point.

I still dislike the cold, and am really glad that there wasn't any snow during the conference.  It is back today and snowing very nicely at that, enough to get my sister sent home from work.  It's very pretty but not much fun.

For those curious, the truffles turned out good.  I am in love with the almond ones and want to try to make Nutella except with almond instead of hazelnut (wait the internet informs me Hershey's has read my mind before I even thought of it, they have a chocolate with almond spread, how do they keep doing that? I mean I at one time put some of their cinnamon baking chips in oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and it added a whole new dimension but chocolate almond spread is just genius, I'm going to have to try it.)  The orange ones are yummy, and I was not as lazy when trying to make small balls of the inside goo, so turned out the most regular shaped and the right size.  The vanilla ones have a bit too much vanilla but over time they have mellowed well or I just have gotten use to it.

Anyway I'm need to get back to hiding from the cold, figuring out where I'm going (the answer is south, Florida looks good, anyone there, or at least south of DC, need some garb sewn?) and doing embrodery.

No comments: