Tuesday, February 18, 2014

More on Florida

Yes I was planning to talk more about the farm, I am at Orchard Pond Organics, they do pesto, honey, grass fed beef, and organic vegetables mostly as a CSA.   Yesterday when I got here I got to work right away, first helping put together the CSA bags and then spent the rest of the day weeding, not really all that interesting.  My hands were not prepared for this, no calluses in the places I need them.  Some muscles are very sore but nothing more than expected  Today was a little more interesting, I got to gather some broccoli (one of the weird varieties), make pesto (yum) and pour honey (so much honey).
The Cabin (office) with the honey hut (silver building)
Look farm fields
The hot house


Florida is covered in pretty trees like this.
I have not yet seen the honey bees or the cows, but I am told they are around here somewhere. Temperatures are in the nice area, low last night was high 40s, high to day was high 70s, I can do this.  I can stay as long as I continue working and not doing anything stupid and looking at average/record temperatures I should be comfortable for at least a couple months.  So I suspect I'll be here for a bit (and Rachel, I'm not sure of the mail situation, but I can ask, or you can send general delivery to the nearest post office that does that and just let me know so I can go pick it up.)

Looking at SCA stuff nearby, I hope to make it out to an event this weekend.  In general, I'm doing ok and having fun.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Pesto and honey do sound yummy. Enjoy

Julia said...

Neat you're on a farm. Can never hurt to learn things about food.